<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Ready for 55? (long)
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:18 GMT 2003
  • - Tamara Taylor
  • - Tim Worden

    Re: [RC] Ready for 55? (long) - Howard Bramhall

    Geezz, leave it to someone to kill off a new ride before it even gets it's hoof off the ground with that kind of talk.  I am so hoping that the Gator Run gets a good turn out next January cause it's one of the few 3 day rides we have in the Southeast.  Osceola is not deep sand; the footing is fantastic and it's just over the GA border.

    Not all Florida rides are deep sand ones.  Osceola and Ponce DeLeon are not and I like the ground at Goethe, also. Ya'll seem to enjoy Goethe and I would venture to say Osceola is much firmer ground.  I wish folks who haven't done these rides would refrain from talking about them.  It's one of the reasons why we don't get a good turn out at some Florida rides, and that's a darn shame.  If there was something about a ride I didn't like I think I'd keep my mouth shut about it, just out of courtesy to the Ride Manager if nothing else.

    The Gator Run (what a cool name, don't you think?) will certainly need you out of staters to be a success just because it's planned for 3 days.  Takes quite a few folks to keep a 3 dayer going.  Please, listen to me and Truman and come down and do this ride.  We need you here, and it's a fantastic trail.  If me, the wife, and kid can do it, ya'll certainly can.  This is the same trails where my 3 horses did 55 miles last month, barefoot, trimmed by myself.  Nobody came up lame and they're all still running strong.

    Plan on that weekend in January.  Get some miles in weather that will be just right for the horse and for you.  It's just a little farther south than Hahira, and I know ya'll know where Hahira is.  I wish someone would talk about the footing or the bears or something to scare off some folks from going to the Hahira ride, cause it is so darn crowded, I can't believe I continue to go there.  But, alas, I do.  It's a cool ride and so is Osceola.

    cya,
    Howard (I can't believe Duane's involved in a ride called Gator Run.  Too funny!)

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Truman Prevatt
    Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 1:02 PM
    To: rides2far@xxxxxxxx
    Cc: finishis2win@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; superpat@xxxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] Ready for 55? (long)

    The footing in the Osceola NF is wonderful. It's a combination of firmly
    packed sandy soil and turf. Very litte if any deep sand. The forest
    roads are mostly packed clay. If there is any ride you could do barefoot
    - this is it.

    I wouldn't worry much about a 55 there, it is a ride with good footing
    and flat. The nearest hill is 50 miles :-).

    Truman