<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Very young riders in AERC rides
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:37:38 GMT 2003
  • - Sullivan
  • - Bette Lamore

    Re: [RC] Very young riders in AERC rides - Sullivan

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    > And it is too bad that standing up for the rights of kids with exceptional
    > talent and refusing to relegate them to the average is for some reason
    > considered to be "emotional."  Our forefathers thought that the concept of
    > individual responsibility and freedom was worth fighting and dying for,
    > and founding a nation over.  I simply happen to agree.  Too bad those
    > concepts have become so eroded over the past couple of centuries.

    Heidi,

    I happen to agree with your basic philosophy here, but do not see how this
    applies
    to a 3 year old child.  At this age, they are exploring their world, and
    have absolutely
    no idea of what is available.  Remembering back...to when my kids were that
    age, seems
    like the educated approach was to expose them to as many different
    experiences and
    opportunities in a safe manner....to broaden their experiences, and give
    them lots of
    choices.  Personally, I would rather my kids grow up well-rounded, well
    adjusted people
    with a variety of interests, than steer them in any one direction.  But, we
    all tend to base
    our opinions on early experiences.  I was shy and socially retarded, and for
    my kids, I
    want them to be comfortabe with their peer groups and in social situations.
    This, I think,
    will help them in later life FAR MORE than being any kind of prodigy. .  I
    think VERY few
    3 year old children have "exceptional talent". Those that are prodigies in
    sports are
    the ones that are dragged in by their parents and steered in a particular
    direction, for the
    main part.

    I cannot see how the amount of riding a 3 -5 year old would have to do to be
    able to do
    25 to 100 mile rides is a good thing.
    Karen