Re: RC: XP 2001

There are probably a lot of factors - luck being one. In general though  the
gaited breeds ,here I'm referring to the Icelandic, were developed to cover
ground in an efficient manner to both the rider and horse at moderate speeds (
a 5 hour 50 is not a moderate speed where a 10 hour 50 is).  Of course the
showring has ruined some of that in some lines.

This is true for all the gaited breeds, TWH, saddlebred, Foxtrotter,
Icelandics, etc. Also their gait produces less concussion on the horses legs
than does a trot. Most have a plain old flatfooted walk faster than a trotting
horse, which comes into play in somthing like the XP.

So some may be the competition was more geared to the strengthes of the gaited
breeds more so than one day 50 mile races.

Truman