<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] LDSA
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:29:52 GMT 2003
  • - Linda B. Merims
  • - Howard Bramhall

    Re: [RC] LDSA - Heidi Smith

    FWIW, Sindy, I think those who think LD riders are a "pain" are a small minority.  I think I have enough mileage to count as a "real" endurance rider, and I'm not at all ashamed to be among the ranks of the LD riders this year.  I also hope I've never shorted an LD rider for attention as a ride vet or a ride manager.  I hope to see Julie Suhr out doing LD's when she's 95.  :-)  Far better to have all of us under one roof, so that experienced "real" riders can mentor new LD'ers, and so that those "real" riders who have to become LD'ers for whatever reason can still enjoy the sport and share their wealth of knowledge.  And God bless all who come and do LD when that's all they CAN do, for whatever reason.  They are still enjoying the sport and gaining the benefits of DOING something with their horses besides standing there looking at them stuff their faces out in the pasture.  This is a "life sport" to be enjoyed at whatever level you can.

    Heidi

    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 9:47 AM
    Subject: Re: [RC] LDSA

    My goodness.....

    After reading many of these posts, a person just starting out in LD with AERC certainly isn't going to feel very welcomed. Hearing how some the "real" endurance riders feel about us "lowly" LD riders is very disheartening.

    Some of us Limited Distance riders will never be 50/100 milers because of health reasons. I joined AERC and try to do a few LD's a year because it has been so fun and I love being out on the trail on the back of a trotting Arabian.

    I have never felt like an outcast here in the West region. Everyone has been more than helpful and kind. We do care for our horses, we do move out of the way when a 50/100 miler comes up behind us, we do not want to hold up 50/100 milers in the vetting area and we do not want want to feel like low life outcasts!

    When I read how some of you feel about us LD riders, it certainly doesn't make me feel welcomed or included. It seems to me that our entry fees help pay for the costs of the rides. Maybe I am wrong. If you want to encourage new "paying" members of AERC maybe we should think about welcoming riders in the LD divisions instead of posting about what a pain we are.