<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] horse purchase
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:27:28 GMT 2003
  • - John & Sue Greenall
  • - Heidi Smith

    Re: [RC] horse purchase - Heidi Smith

    Just a few comments here...

    I agree with the folks who have said that you should first try the horse in the seller's environment.  As a seller, unless I know someone well, I also want to observe how the horse reacts to the person, as I don't want the horse to go into a situation that I think will be incompatable.

    Another factor to consider if you do take the horse to a different location for a trial period is an insurance policy where the seller is the loss payee.  That's a small price to pay to CYA, so to speak, and it provides the seller with protection if something goes wrong.

    Heidi

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: T.B.Pots
    Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 10:16 AM
    Subject: [RC] horse purchase

    Could anyone please tell me what the customary way is to try out a horse?

    This is where I'm at:  I found a horse who seems to fit the bill for what I'm looking for.  The horse is located 4 hours away so I'd like to bring him back to the stable I plan to board at for a trial period.  I also plan to have him vetted out during this period.  So should I give the owner the payment in full even though the horse has yet to be vetted out or do I post date the check?  Or should I just put down a deposit?  If that's the case then what is an acceptable amount?  And , since I'm asking all these questions how long do you think is a reasonable time period to try out a horse?

    Thanks !
    Tracy