<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] pre-ride vet check
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:27:28 GMT 2003
  • - Heidi Smith
  • - Amber & Bob Roberts

    Re: [RC] pre-ride vet check - Heidi Smith

    The ride vet can not allow the horse to start for ANY reason that he/she feels will compromise the horse.  And nowhere does it say that a Grade 1 "will" be allowed to start--that, too, is at the discretion of the examining veterinarian, and it may make a difference WHY the veterinarian feels that the horse is Grade 1 (say, an older horse with a touch of arthritis that may warm out, vs a younger horse with a possible suspensory tear starting--bottom line, whether the veterinarian feels that it is in the horse's best interest to start or not).

    Since what you saw was two weeks earlier, if the horse's feet grow unevenly, there could have been considerable change in the balance between what you saw and what the ride vet saw.  There also could have been other subtle factors causing the horse to "just not be right".

    As to refunds--most rides refund either all or most of the entry fee if the horse fails to pass the pre-ride exam, but the refund policy is up to each individual ride manager.  (In some cases, they justifiably keep a small portion to cover the fact that you HAVE presented the horse and received an exam.)

    Heidi

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: db8ranch
    Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 11:17 AM
    Subject: [RC] pre-ride vet check

    Had a friend go to a ride this weekend.

    At the pre-ride vet check the vet said that the horse was "off-balance" and therefore she was not allowed to ride. The horse was not lame and no mention of lameness was noted. The vet commented on the shoeing job and that she better find a better farrier.

    Two weeks earlier she rode with me on a 50 miler and the horse was just fine. Same shoes, NO lameness at all.

    I didn't know that you could be denied entry for a reason like this. I have checked the AERC rules and Vet Handbook and there is no mention of anything like this. I understand that EVEN if a horse is grade 1 lame (which this one was not) a horse is allowed to enter and they just watch to see if it gets worse.
    Can someone explain this to me?

    Also, in a situation like this, is there a refund of your entry money? Can't find that in the rules/regs.

    Thanks for any clarification on these questions.

    Lauren