<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] What is wrong with my trailer?!?
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:55 GMT 2003
  • - Howard Bramhall
  • - Susan Garlinghouse

    Re: [RC] What is wrong with my trailer?!? - Duncan Fletcher

    Tongue weight can easily be measured. Put trailer wheels only onto a scale
    and record the weight. Then put the trailer on the scale on the scale
    unhitched from the truck. The difference is the tongue weight. Not sure how
    your state weigh stations are set up, but in many states they can be used
    when the state patrol is not present. The scales are on and you can see the
    readings through the window. If that isn't available, you can find a
    commercial scale. Tongue is only affected slightly by nose position - it is
    mostly affected by load distribution in the trailer (and by trailer wheel
    location which is not something you can change).

    Not sure what the recommended tongue weight should be for goosenecks, but I
    am sure Jim or someone else will know.

    Duncan Fletcher
    dfletche@xxxxxxx