<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] Border checks
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:55 GMT 2003
  • - S.N.
  • - Duncan Fletcher

    [RC] Border checks - Howard Bramhall

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Susan Garlinghouse
    Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 1:17 PM
    To: Joane Pappas White; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] Border checks

    >Susan--Did any one of them ever walk out and actually >look at your horse? I have always gone to the trouble >and expense of getting all the travel documents and hay >certifications, only to have the officer look at the paper >work (at most) but never look to see of the horse in the >trailer is the gray mare on the papers or a black stallion.  >In talking to many, they would not know the difference.

    At the AZ border, no.  At the CO border, I was parked enough to the side that I let Dakota's window down and of course he had his head out to gawk. The officer inside did look at the photo on the brand inspection, out the window at Dakota for maybe 5-10 seconds, then back at the photo again.

    Susan G

    Be grateful for their ineptitude.  Unfortunately, the border patrol here in Florida does look, which makes it worse.  You'll get one of them saying to you, "That horse ain't gray; he's white. This ain't your horse."  And, this is when he's talking about your gray Arab mare.  They'll be so sure of themselves they will actually discuss calling in their Supervisor, who, hopefully, for you, knows that some grays kinda look white to the uneducated.  And, we got plenty of that (uneducated), down here in the land of extreme heat and humidity.  I think most of our Floridian brains have done and gotten fried from too many summers!  It's just a bit scary cause some of em wear guns and think they can use them.

    Here's something to ponder.  Last summer, when I was driving thru the Agricultural Station on my way to the GERA ride, I made the mistake of asking the guy how hot it was.  He told me it was 122.  I thought he was joking, so I said why did he think it was that hot?  He showed me the thermometer they had placed outside, in direct sunlight, and it sure did read 122.  I tried to explain to him that the outside air temperature was supposed to be taken in shade, that direct sunlight is not an accurate air temperature reading.  But, he stood up and said a certified weather guy had put the thermometer right where it was and that it was accurate and I should just get going down/up the highway (he was so upset he wasn't sure which way I was headed) and not to bother him with such nonsense!

    This is why I watch Jerry Springer every chance I get.  I thoroughly enjoy discovering that there are quite a few folks even more stupid than myself out there in this great country of ours.  I just wish some of them weren't armed.

    cya,

    Howard

    cya,

    Howard