Re: RC: Re: Question on S hackamore

At 11:15 PM 1/11/2002 -0700, Dot Wiggins wrote:
The extra wire at the ends of the shanks keeps the shanks from flipping over, or out to the side, just generally maintains all the parts in the correct positions.
Replace it with a leather thong, about 3/8 inch wide.  That will be strong enough for the purpose, but will break if needed.

Almost all hackamore bits need a "bottom keeper"  and leather is the safest.

Thanks.  Everyone is telling me that the wire is necessary but that I could replace it with something else.  I wrapped it in vet wrap last night and will try it today.  If I don't like that, I'll replace it with leather.  Thanks so much everyone for your replies.

Amber