Re: Calling Susan!

I think there are a couple of things you can try.  I'm assuming you still
don't have beet pulp available in your area, so that's a no go.  If at all
possible, I would try to add as much fat to his ration as possible.  Is
there any kind of chaff feed available that would supply fiber and that
would work to add oil to, so that you can limit his hay?  Rice bran would be
a good feed for this guy, too, if you can get it.  If so, we'll have to
check and make sure the calcium levels are adequate.

Also, you might consider adding a good general purpose vitamin-mineral mix.
Mineral deficiencies have been theorized, though not proven, to exacerbate
flightiness so making sure he's getting enough is a good idea.  Also make
sure that he has adequate salt, as deficiencies can cause poor doers even
when enough calories are present in the diet.

And although it sounds contrary, working him more might be very helpful.  As
energy expenditure increases, the appetite does too and sometimes it's
enough for horses to really start eating what's in their box.  I know,
sounds backwards.  I don't mean wild gallops, but just alot of steady work.

You might also try a panacur purge to rule out any parasites, and try the
usual things like giving him toys or a stallmate (maybe a goat?) to occupy
him more.  Stall walking can be pretty hard to overcome though.

I also wouldn't be surprised if this guy had gastric ulcers, but you would
have to 'scope him to make sure.

Good luck with him.

Susan G