Re: RC: DVE/LSD (Long)

guest@endurance.net wrote:

> Karen nvrider@charter.net
> Since it's December (now January), this horse is much closer to six
> years old.  I happen to know that it was conditioned consistently before
> this ride and IMO, one of the best things that you can do for a horse
> starting out is take it thru a multiday ride slowly.  My horse Rocky did a
> couple of days on a multiday when he was 5, it was the best thing for him.
> He might have done more days but I had another horse to ride.

Ah, Karen! But now you have redefined the horse from the post I replied
to. I have no problem with that! Remember, I don't start horses on LD,
but go straight to 50s at a later age.  I simulated "slow multi-days"
with Sunny, just not in competition. IMO, he wasn't "mentally" mature
enough for competition. Certainly a slow multi-day is as acceptable as a
50 for a horse than has been conditioned properly and the rider is happy
with his maturity as a first ride....especially if you're capable of
spending a lot of time on the ground, which I do. I only commented on
the ORIGINAL post by Kathy, which indicated that the horse had little
saddle time and no conditioning.  So, my comment was regarding "a 5 year
old horse out for a multi-day ride with no conditioning and little
saddle time".  However, I personally do not believe in starting a horse
in competition at 5....but it's legal under AERC rules and that's a
personal decision.

> Starting at the same time (1997), I have done 20 rides, with 18
> completions, consistently in the Top Ten.
>
> **Ahhh...but see, your horse has been getting hammered on every ride it's
> done "consistently".  The horse you guys are talking about has not, and
> will probably stay sound and have a much longer career in this sport.
> Doing a slow multiday ride is a lot less harmful on a horse than top
> tenning a one day ride.  I saw this horse and know that he went home from
> the ride sound, happy and in good condition.  In a lot better shape than
> some of the older more experienced horses that were ridden hard.  (I also
> noticed that most people posting about how awful this was have never done
> a multiday ride)
>
> Karen
Hmmm...I'll take your word on the multidays. You're certainly qualified!
<grin>> I hope to do more of those. Question....let's say you did a 5
day ride and finished, say in the top 25% overall. How long would you
give him off before doing another at least 50 mile ride?

I have done one multi-day (2 day) ride (One of Teddy Lancaster's Rides)
under just terrible conditons. Next time you see Teddy, ask her about
the Iron Horse ride during the "monsoons" when the concrete creek
crossing was so high it was washing away horses and how many times we
had to ride "Silver Arrow Trail".  That's been many years ago....won't
ever forget that ride. I even remember the Vet was Dwight Hooten.

However, I don't agree on my horse is being "hammered on every ride it's
done consistently". That depends on the rider and the horse, so I don't
think you can really lump all riders together in that blanket statement.
I spend a LOT of time on the ground on any ride that's not flat.  Anyone
who has ridden with me in the Southeast will attest to that.  I have
never done two rides less than two weeks apart. Contrast that with the
riders who NEVER get off, no matter how steep, haven't even taught their
horses to tail, and will Top Ten two rides on consecutive weekends? How
"hammered" are those horses compared to Sunny?  It boils down to
"knowing" your horse, both physically and mentally, and how much you're
willing to ask of him. I'm not saying thats "wrong", just that some
riders do that. Obviously, they don't feel that this is detrimental to
the horse, which is certainly their decision....I'm not criticizing.
I'm sure there are people who don't like the way I compete, either.

Everyone has to set the bar to what is best for THEIR horse under the
CURRENT ride conditions and within AERC guidelines. Other than that,
you're on your own. If you're wrong, you pay the price....or at least
your horse does...either immmediately or in longevity.  The freedom to
make this type of decision and the diversity of riders and styles is
what makes this sport so great. It's what "works" for you. You have to
just carefully observe what successful riders are doing, listen to
everyone else's opinions, (unfortunately, including my humble ones
<grin>) then make your own decisions.  The longer you ride a horse and
the faster you go, the more informed your decisions have to be.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic