Re: RC: DVE/LSD (Long)

>Hmmm...I'll take your word on the multidays. You're certainly qualified!
><grin>> I hope to do more of those. Question....let's say you did a 5
>day ride and finished, say in the top 25% overall. How long would you
>give him off before doing another at least 50 mile ride?

That all depends on the horse and how he finishes that 5 day ride, and what
level you are really competing at.  The makeup of the rides can vary
greatly -- some multidays don't have a lot of overall finishers so you can
ride pretty slowly and still end up in the top ten overall, or maybe ride
pretty hard and not end up in the top ten overall (or top 25%) -- it
depends on who is there, how many, etc.  I personally think that
alternating horses on a multiday is the best way to go, and have done that
a lot with my two horses.  It is a lot easier to keep them both going that
way (conditioning wise), and I think it's better for them.  It is a nice
feeling to complete an entire multiday on the same horse though, a
rewarding experience.  Alternating is also a good test because it shows
that your horse is still sound after having a day off.  It also depends on
the trail.  Some trails are obviously harder than others (due to terrain,
weather, etc.).  A year ago I probably would have said that I'd give a
horse a month off after doing a 5 day ride (though I haven't always done
that <g>), and now, after I have seen what my horses have been capable of I
would have to say that I have no answer.  :+D   My horses and I don't
exactly exist in the same reality (yet) as most of you.  (I need a 12-step
program, or so I'm told.....)

>However, I don't agree on my horse is being "hammered on every ride it's
>done consistently". That depends on the rider and the horse, so I don't
>think you can really lump all riders together in that blanket statement.

I know that, but I still think we're putting a lot of wear and tear on our
horses by top tenning or riding them up in the front, especially on rides
with a large number of entries or with a lot of good competition.  No
matter how capable or conditioned our horses are, we are taking greater
chances with them when we ride them fast on a ride.  Even if we don't end
up in the top ten or whatever, riding them hard can really take it's toll
on a horse.  Lots of riders won't realize this, and very few horses IMO
should be going out and top tenning (or trying to) every ride they do.  If
you watch some of the more experienced riders you'll see that they often
ride at a more conservative pace and aren't there every single time out
trying to run up in the front.    I can say this because I've probably top
tenned a few more rides than you have <G>.  So feel free to pick on me.  I
have no problem admitting that my horses have been ridden hard.

>Everyone has to set the bar to what is best for THEIR horse under the
>CURRENT ride conditions and within AERC guidelines. Other than that,
>you're on your own. If you're wrong, you pay the price....or at least
>your horse does...either immmediately or in longevity.

That is definitely true.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV