Re: RC: Re: pony a yearling?

In a message dated 1/3/02 9:13:54 AM Pacific Standard Time, mskit@netsync.net
writes:

> The pony horse must be well trained, mannerly and
>  responsive, not too flappable, and dominant to the led horse.

I have to laugh.  There's such a thing as TOO dominant!  I started my filly,
Fog, who is out of my Arabian mare, Misty Moon, by ponying her on mom.  No
problem.  Kept her short, worked in the arena first, bopped her a couple
times when she got too personal, in a couple sessions she was going along
like a broke horse.  No problem.

My brother-in-law sent me his 2 yr old gelding, George, to start.  I figured,
Misty Moon has ponied before.  She pretty much met all of the qualifications
mentioned earlier for a good pony horse.  She was definitely dominant to just
about every other horse on the place.  Started pony lessons in the round pen,
just because George didn't have all the ground work that Fog had.  Whoa was
not automatic with him.  Got on Misty Moon, my friend handed me George's lead
rope, I started to bring him up to my knee, Misty Moon gave him this EVIL
LOOK.  The one that says "If you even THINK about getting that close to me,
you are totally dead meat."  George being the good little boy that he was
said "YES MA'AM."  And that was the end of the pony lesson.  Even though I
got Misty Moon to the point where she wasn't trying to kill him by mental
telepathy, he would not get within 5 feet!  jeri