Re: RC: Re: Long Slow Distance

> Yep good back conformation is a definate plus, but even with the best back
> conformation, you can't plop 200 pounds on a 5 yo without a lot of saddle
time
> and expect them to go 50 miles down the trail without some strengthening
and
> training. If you take a 5 yo which has been doing ranch work for a year or
so,
> then you've already put a lot of training and strengthening into his back.
The
> fact I would believe that the type of riding a horse gets on ranch work
would be
> wonderful training for the back.

I agree, Truman, and am not suggesting that this be done with a 5-year-old.
They still have active growth plates at that age.  The three horses I did
this sort of thing with were in their teens.  Also, going up and down hill
does a lot to strengthen a back, even without a rider--and all three of
these mares had spent considerable portions of their lives climbing up and
down very rugged hills.  Granted, at the time I did not weigh anywhere near
200#, but I was also bigger than 105#, too.  It also makes a difference in
how the rider rides, whether they are hard on a horse's back or not.  Back
then I was a very fit rider, and "easy" for my weight--I wouldn't try it
right now, as I am not fit.

And you are absolutely right that lots of "quality" time in the saddle
(dressage, basically) helps the back--have always felt that a rider should
always ride pretty much as if he/she was riding dressage, no matter what the
circumstances.  Dressage should be a constant state of mind and body for the
rider, regardless of what one is doing.

You are right to be concerned about backs--IMO more horses go lame
compensating for back problems than for any other reason.

Heidi