Re: pony a yearling?

Hi Tracy -

I have ponied for many years, and I love it. It is a great way to teach
manners, condition and prepare a youngster for riding, and give your riding
horse a good job to do. If I may brag a bit, I also happen to own the
undisputed World Grand Supreme Champion Pony Horse, my wonderful Ms Kit Bit.
Just ask her

Here is my Personal Pony Primer:

1. Never tie hard & fast to the horn. Too many things can and will happen to
bring about a real wreck. You will not be able to free things up when you
need to. Personally, I don't even dally the line, either, I have most
control holding it.

2. Use a breast collar, closed reins and gloves. Carry a knife, extra halter
and rope.

3. I use a short 1" heavy cotton rope, less than three feet in length. There
is more control with a shorter rope. Lungelines are way too long, and just
inviting trouble. Even a regular leadline can be too long for ponying
(different than regular packing, where I'm basically just traveling point A
to B). I do carry a lead rope, in case I need to tie the led horse
("junior") up. Tie this rope where "junior" can't reach it or put a foot
through it if (when) he rears and comes down next to (or on top of!) your
horse.

4. I use a flat web or leather halter, I prefer the web, fairly
close-fitting to keep it from turning too much on his face. I have also
ponied in a sidepull, and I put on a jaw strap (sidepulls should all have
these, but most do not). I do not use a chain. You could use a larger
diameter rope halter, but they're not too good for tying if you want to take
a break.

5. Practice in the pen for a few days, a week or however long you need. Get
him responding real well by himself in hand first, then add your pony horse
(the one you're riding). The pony horse must be well trained, mannerly and
responsive, not too flappable, and dominant to the led horse. Best if she is
bigger, also. She should sidepass, turn on fore/back hand, back up
willingly, and neck reining is a must. She must be well broke to the rope,
it may end up under her tail, around her neck, under her belly and around a
leg (another story sometime), etc. Another good reason for the shorter,
heavy tow rope.

6. Most times, the rider should do the disciplining, but that depends on you
and how well you know your pony horse. I allow Kit to discipline them, she
gives 'em a "look", more if they ask for it! Keep their nose at your knee. I
found that if they really get out of line, grab hold on the halter (still
keeping that rope in hand) and hold  'em right up tight to your side as you
march along. This is kinda like when your mom scruffed you behind your neck
as she marched you off to spend a couple hours in your room for misbehaving.
It really does work<g>.

7. Look for "junior" to bite, buck, kick, rear, spook, crowd, pull back,
stop dead, bolt, get stuck in the bushes, grab the reins or breast collar
(and not necessarily let go!), fall into the creek, and try to climb into
the saddle with you. Your pony horse needs to be able to put up with all
that, without being a wimp, or getting mad. Let go if you need to, don't
risk getting pulled off balance on your saddle. If he gets away, calmly
either stop and let your pony horse graze, or turn and head for home, most
times they realize all of a sudden they're alone and then they'll come back,
usually screaming and making a big fuss. Stay mounted if possible as you
work your way over to catch him, then continue on like nothing happened. Of
course this depends on where you are at the time, use your own judgement.

8. Junior can be ponied on both sides of you and learn to reverse direction
to the inside and outside, and also switch sides calmly. I usually work walk
and trot mostly, and canter only after things are going nice and calm. I
pony everywhere I would normally ride and do a lot of climbing, creek
riding, and day camping.

Bobby started ponying on his five-month b-day, two weeks after I brought him
home. He'll be eleven in May, and he still ponies with Kit and me. Enjoy
ponying, it's the best <g>.

Hope this helps -

Cheryl in WNY