Re: New Buckeye Feeds

> Has anyone heard of or tried the Race 'N Win or the Unbeetable
> feeds from Buckeye?    The fat is 8% and they contain Gro'n
> Win and added vegetable oil.  They only thing I didn't like
> is that they are 12.5 - 13% protein and also contain Ultimate
> Finish which I believe has rice bran in it.

We don't have Buckeye here locally, but they have good formulations in
general.  I wouldn't be worried about a 12-13% protein content---by the time
you 'dilute' it with a good quality grass hay, the overall protein content
of the entire ration will be just right.  Don't be concerned about rice bran
either---I probably have scared the dickens out of people talking about
calcium-phosphorus ratios, but rice bran in moderation is very useful.  It
only beomes a potential problem if fed in very high quantities (like 6-8+
pounds a day) without evaluating the calcium and phosphorus levels.  Any
contained in a balanced feed like Buckeye is going to be incorporated in the
correct way, so is probably a useful thing.

Susan G