DVE - Zay and Hawk

Good old geldings never die; they just get easier to manage.  Two
magnificent white old Arabians participated in the Death Valley Encounter
and proved once again that life after 20 can be a lot of fun.  Zayante,
early 20's, owned by Jackie Bumgardner and ridden by his greatest fan, Nick
Warhol, finished all four days of the endurance rides.  Zayante is rapidly
closing in on his 10,000th mile and is the same trail eating machine he has
been for years.  CP Fadahmo, known as Hawk and owned by Joanne and Jim
Dietz, will be 27 years old in April.  This wonderful equine, who finished
the Tevis in 1984 (that's quite a while ago), finished three of the four
days of limited distance.  Hawk did it in style, with an eager appetite for
both the trail and his feed at the end. It was only the nervousness of his
guardian that prevented him from going all four days.

I've been lucky to have known both of these horses well and simply have to
share my pride in their accomplishments.  There will probably be no more
trophies or top wins for either one, but they are truly what endurance is
all about.

Barbara White