Re: no shoes

----- Original Message -----
From: guest@endurance.net
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2001 5:31 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: no shoes

Douglas quixrace@sierratel.com
I live and ride about two hours north of LA in the Piute Mountains, an area of mainly decomposed granite and rocks near the PCT.  I pulled the shoes from my Arab mare and my Appy about four years ago and both now have feet like iron, with zero problems.  I inspect feet daily, learned how to maintain their feet myself, and again, no problems have developed.  Both horses are pastured 365 days on 90 acres of decomposed granite 24/7 with daily alfalfa pellet feeding of about one-third of their daily requirements, and regularly give me 25 - 35 mile days, going from 3200 feet to 6000 and back.

I have done one AERC 30 at Tar Springs a few years ago (with shoes on the mare) and want to start again in 2002, starting with 25/30's and working up.

My question is this - what is the current regulation on horses with no shoes at AERC events ?  Will we be restricted or barred from any rides at the 25/30 mile or 50 mile level ?  Regulations aside, what is the current thinking on barefoot horses ?

Doug, I'm quite interested in what you're doing here.  Sounds like you got some Mustangs there.  The rule is up to the RM, so call them before you enter their ride.  Most don't insist on shoes as far as I can tell; I know you can ride without them here in the Southeast.  The vet will look at the feet, but sounds like you have that one covered.

I really don't want to shoe either horse as their feet are just beautiful, and they are very happy, never showing any indication of tender feet.vWhen I'm on the trail, if the ground looks rougher than I would want tovrun on in soft shoes, I walk them.  They are used to rough terrain, shale,vand small rocks, such as fire roads and the PCT.  Both are great atvpicking their way around rocks on the trot or at a walk.

What's the scoop ?

Don't shoe if you can get away with it.  I've just found that I can't, my horses feet would chip away cause all I do is ride.  4 horses, one man, so little time.  lol.

cya,

Howard