Re: RE: Re: Suitable dog

ÿþ<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META content="text/html; charset=unicode" http-equiv=Content-Type> <META content="MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=GENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=#ffffff> <DIV><FONT color=#000080 face=Arial>Just as a note, in some of the Great Dane history I've read, they were reported to have been bred to be boarhounds.&nbsp; And I believe it because of an event that happened to my Great Dane female and her five month-old pup.&nbsp; These dogs were city born &amp; bred show dogs, and had never been around any other animals, when I moved in with my brother out on a small farm.&nbsp; He had dogs, cats,&nbsp; birds, horses, cattle, chickens, ducks, and <STRONG>pigs</STRONG>.&nbsp; My Danes showed almost no real interest in any of the animals, except the pigs.&nbsp; And they were very excited, almost hyper-active, when near them.&nbsp; One of his pigs, which weighed between 200-300 pounds (or more) was being castrated in readiment for slaughter in a month or so.&nbsp; I guess they did not use any anesthetic, because I heard the pig squealing loudly.&nbsp; I was in the house at the time.&nbsp; The&nbsp;castration was completed in a minute or so, and the pig was turned loose in the fenced back yard.&nbsp;&nbsp; My two&nbsp;Danes were in a chainlink run at the time, and were barking furiously, &amp; dementedly.&nbsp; I don't know how, but the dogs got out of the run,&nbsp; and attacked the pig. The 5 month old pup grabbed the pig's rear leg and toppled it while the mother Dane dove into the throat and was chewing through the fat in the neck.&nbsp;(My brother reported this to me) All this happened in a few seconds&nbsp; while I was running out side to get my dogs.&nbsp; My brother &amp; I tried so hard to save the pig.&nbsp; These normally quiet, well-trained SHOW dogs were glazed-eyed, while savagely ripping, tearing, and attacking, and did not respond to my voice commands&nbsp;or even acknowledge me as I screamed at them.&nbsp; Finally, using a broom handle and a hose, my brother &amp; I were able to get the dogs away from the pig .&nbsp; In another few seconds, the pig's life would have ebbed away as the gouges in the neck from the mother Dane were next to the jugular vein.&nbsp;&nbsp;The dogs were locked back up and remained excited and slobbering for several minutes afterward.&nbsp; From that day on, I've had a new respect for, and a little fear of, these normally gentle giants, Great Dane boarhounds. </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000080 face=Arial>Lindak</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000080 face=Arial>Perris</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>