Comfortable Riding Pants

Walksgood ketchtropictramp@hotmail.com
I would like to know what most distance riders out there wear for comfortable, durable, warm pants?  Obviously, jeans just don't cut it.  I am new to distance riding and am tired of fighting my blue jeans...they're too restrictive, too hot in summer and are NOT warm in winter. Forget it if they get wet!
Sure hope there's something out there besides jeans and dayglow.

Also, what does one wear in cold wind/freezing rain conditions?
I know I must layer, but after the silkies and woolies what does one pull on?

Is an Aussie-type great coatwith layers underneath a good choice for foul weather?  Please keep in mind I am not an AERC or NATRC racer, just in the saddle for very long hours, day after day after day...
Thanks for your help
Walksgood