Glucosamine and Carbo loading...

Re:  Randy Eiland's post)  This makes more sense to me than all the talk
about
'if you need it your horse should not be competing', or'it doesn't
replace
 conditioning and fitness' (of course it doesn't, I think this is
comparing
 apples & oranges)....I don't think this is a matter of 'drawing the
line'
at using Bute, whatever.

That said, I have felt uncomfortable with the concept of Carbo loading
and the use of such products during an endurance ride.  I'll probably
get
flamed for saying so, but this seems more like a 'drug' (even though
it is a natural substance) because it does have a direct effect on
how the horse performs....

Jude Hall
Ohio

Randy Eiland wrote:

A few years ago Jeanie Waldron, DVM spoke at one of the seminars at the
AERC Convention.  Her topic was based on the neutraceuticals containing
Chondroitan Sulfates and Glucosomine, etc.  I remember her saying that
in
the future it would be a common occurrence to see horses in their 20's
still competing at a high level in endurance, dressage, jumping, etc
because their careers would not be cut short from arthritis related
problems...their usefulness would be prolonged due to the use of
Adequan,
Glucosomine, etc.  That assumed they had no career ending injuries or
other health problems.  At the Lexington AERC Convention I remember Mike
Foss, DVM answering a question from the audience on what he does with
new
horses vis a vis supplements, etc.  Mike said that as soon as he begins
conditioning a horse for endurance they go on a monthly dose of Adequan
or a similar substance. (snip snip)