Re: RC: Re: Glucosamine & Condroitin

At 12:14 AM 2/12/01, Magnumsmom@aol.com wrote:
>the damage done, which only shows up later, is irreversible.  And preventible.

We've got lots of endurance horses with lots of miles on them that don't
have damage from doing the miles, so we know that it's not absolutely
necessary to supplement with CS / GAGS to do the miles with some horses.

As a person who's been involved in breeding and also who's extremely
interested in the future of endurance, here's my concern:

If you put a horse on CS / GAGS supplementation early on, you'll never know
if they really needed them or not.  If they *did* need them and this horse
is used for breeding, then from a breeder's point of view this is the first
step toward creating a situation where CS / GAGS supplementation could
become a *necessary* preventative.  In other words, there's a risk here of
creating the problem we're trying to avoid.

Lif Strand
Quemado NM  USA
             Lif & Paul Strand  STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
           Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
                 Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RACE June 9, 2001 - http://www.fasterhorses.com/race.html