Re: RC: Re: re; Glucosamine discussion

Hi Carolyn

I haven't been following this thread too closely so I'm probably wide of the
mark but I don't think the humans and Advil analogy is correct.

When I take anti-inflammatories half way through a 100-miler I do so knowing
that I have a problem (in my case lack of serious level of physical fitness)
which I'm then going to 'hide' with anti-inflammatories and that there will
be a pay-off - like I'll be really sore the day after the ride.  Thats my
own decision.

Horses can't make their own decisions, we 'make' their decisions for them.
I'm not sure how we really know whether they're 'up for it' anyway.  I think
mostly horses do the things we want them to do because they're generous and
forgiving or because we harness some of their natural instincts.  Given a
true natural state they almost certainly wouldn't do many of these things

So I have guess we have to find a happy medium whilst we're asking them to
do these bizarre things (tongue firmly in cheek!) we do within them.  If
there is a supplement we can give them which will enable them to do the job
more easily then thats fine.  I guess most neutraceuticals would fit into
this slot where bute and so-on wouldn't.

Heather Hamper
UK