Re: RC: Glucosamine and Carbo loading...

--- Jude Hall <hall@denison.edu> wrote:

> That said, I have felt uncomfortable with the concept of
> Carbo loading
> and the use of such products during an endurance ride.
> I'll probably
> get
> flamed for saying so, but this seems more like a 'drug'
> (even though
> it is a natural substance) because it does have a direct
> effect on
> how the horse performs....
>
> Jude Hall
> Ohio

I won't flame you, but I will respond with my own different
opinion. If we are to discuss what has direct effects on
how a horse performs, we'd have to include electroylytes in
this discussion as well. It certainly is a natural product,
but mixing and administering (sometimes against the horse's
will) by syringe is NOT natural. Vegetable oil is a natural
product, but not a natural thing for horses to seek out and
eat, most don't like it unless mixed with other things. I
am watching the carb studies on Tom's board with great
interest as I have a horse that is a prime candidate for
carb supplementation. 45 min. to 1 hour holds is not long
enough for him to refuel, especially when you throw in a
vet check along with that. At 12 miles he is ravenous! If
we ever get through his fetlock injury, I will be blood
glucose testing before, during and afterwards, as well as
with and without the carb supplementation and will be
reporting back here and to Tom. I certainly won't be using
the carbs to win, just to keep my boy happy and eager to
work. He is ruled by his stomach and NOT eager to work when
hungry.

nuff' said!

=====
Heidi-aerc#M20935  /\_/\~