Re: Starting arabians

> angela mccorkle@thegrid.net
> I was wondering if anyone could tell me at what age it is ok to start
> riding arabs.  I have been told several different things and wanted to
> know what everyone thought.  I have a filly that will be three in Feb and
> wanted to know if it is too early to start getting on her for short
> periods (10 mins or so)in the round corral.  Thanks for the info.
> mccorkle@thegrid.net

What the vets and trainers have told me is that the impact or concussion on
the joints of the legs and back is what you want to minimize.

I had a small 3 year old Arab filly that was sort of rescued (being very
thin) in march of her third year.
She was walked and ponied (and fattened up), and by summer looked like a
different critter.  My daughter and I started to slide on and off her back
to just put the idea in her head....by fall we would get on, walk a few
steps, stop, back, and do a fair bit of practice of giving to a rope halter
side to side.  VERYa low key, with a lot of praise and goodies, and a
handler at her head to help keep things quiet. I just wanted her used to the
idea of a rider on her back.  It was much more important to me that year to
pony her out (she ran loose on trail rides too), and to develop strength,
balance and trail smarts without a rider on her back.

We continued this into her 4th year, and by that summer were doing some
short circuits in the round pen, or 15 to 20 minutes on the trail with a
rider.  By the END of her 4th year, we were doing some climbing on the
trail, but still keeping it to under an hour.  She went along very quietly
and willingly.

I currently have another youngster that is 2 and a half.  She is
quarter/arab.  She is a husky thing-already 15.2, strong and sturdy.  She
has already been on the trail, since age 6 months. Short outings following
other horses, going up and down hill and over rough terrian (trying to
approximate what might be "matural" to a horse running wild or free).  She
has carried a light sport saddle since age one (with bags of cans, scoops,
etc).
We did get on and off her this year....again, with vets okay.  Walk a few
steps or a short cricle.  Stop, back, then rider gets off.  Just to get the
idea in her head.  I don't see the harm in this.....it's a far cry from what
the QH trainers do-with getting on late yearlings or two year olds and
having them canter in round pens and do pivots and slides!!!

At age 3, I still don't see doing much more.....perhaps concentrating more
on cues, but lessons will still be under 15 minutes and nothing extreme or
fast....and I will keep ponying her out without a rider.  With 4 other
horses to get out, there is no rush with this one....but I also see no
reason to leave her alone till 3 or 4 either.
I always figured since she is going to be big, it is essential her ground
manners be good, and I want her little brain and memory to remember people
sliding on and off her back and it being no big deal (and lots of rewards).

Karen