Re: RC: suspensory ligament and blistering

At 10:46 AM 12/26/2001 -0500, Rides 2 Far wrote:
>A good while back Tom Ivers sent me a paper that suggested that using a
>TENS unit can speed the healing of suspensory ligaments, same concept,
>increases circulation to the area if I recall correctly.

I've used Tom's EMS unit to treat a torn shoulder tendon (the diagnosis was
bursitis/tendonitis).  The results were really incredible.  Lucky for me my
vet allowed the horse to be turned out into a very large paddock from the
get go.  This kept him sane, and he really was an excellent patient.  He
was diagnosed around December 15th of last year with an injury that would
normally take 12-15 months to heal.  I did the EMS unit for 3 hours a day
along with strictly following the rehab schedule and by the time we were
scheduled to leave for St. Joe the ultrasound came out completely clean and
he's been sound ever since <knocking on wood>.  He's completed 27 fifty
mile rides since June 6.  I kept having the ultrasounds done at the
intervals Tom recommended and because we could see how well things were
coming along I was able to speed along the rehab process, so that by the
time June rolled around I was riding the horse 70+ miles a week.  Total
healing time was less than six months, we couldn't have cut it any closer.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV