RE: suspensory ligament and blistering

Doing so much riding in deep sand, torn suspensories are a serious problem
here. I've been through one with my "free" mare Dory, who has cost me a
fortune on her legs alone. I have a TENS unit that we use in addition to a
very healthy dose of tincture of time. I've seen many blistered legs here
(we don't have leeches but many vets are barely into the 20th century) and
can't say that they help at all. What I've done has involved a lot of rest,
handwalking and then miles of walking under saddle....about 8 months worth
in all.  I got mine from Tom himself and it's been used on lots of tendons.
Seems to help, but nothing really works if you don't rest it. Since turnout
is a problem here most of our rehab is under saddle.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
maryanne@ratbusters.net
www.ratbusters.net

A good while back Tom Ivers sent me a paper that suggested that using a
TENS unit can speed the healing of suspensory ligaments, same concept,
increases circulation to the area if I recall correctly.  I actually
shopped around for one but by the time I picked one out my horse was
ready to ride anyway.  Anybody else ever tried one?