Re: Reply/Do slow, young horses ever speed up?

Karen:  I had a laid back, slow walking horse for several years in NATRC competition.  Carmelita never used more energy than was required.  We were never late, but always had to keep trotting to make the time.  After two years of competition, she did develop a decent walk but it was still slow.   I used spurs and a riding crop at first to keep her "walking out", eventually I was able to hang the crop on the saddle and leave off with the spurs.  Carmelita's trot was steady, but she was not smooth and you had to post the trot.

I sold her to a gentleman who needed a slow walking horse several years ago, and she is queen of the pasture.  Leland says that the only time she hurries is when he shakes the feed bucket for supper.  Go with the fast walking, motivated horse for serious competition.  A slow one makes you work harder and is a lot more tiring, in my opinion.

Happy Holidays to everyone in RideCamp!

Gretchen Patterson
T-P Ranch Equine Massage
Marshall, TX