RE: Do slow, young horses ever speed up?

Karen,
I had a young horse that just plodded in the arena and really moves on the
trail.  But you're already on the trail, so you're not going to see that.
We also have a mustang that the previous owners told us we would not like on
the trail.  He was very slow - walk about 3.5mph on a good day, but willing
to trot to catch up when asked.  Nothing seemed to change with various other
company.

But he seemed to wake up on his first CTR competition - not a puller by any
means, but improved his speed and cared more about what/who was in front.
By his 3rd ride, he was raring to go and even threw in a bucking fit waiting
for his turn to leave.  Now, after some time off after the season, even a 4
horse get together has him walking as fast as my mare, the speed demon and
very much caring who is in front (him preferably!).

So competition might make a difference!

Marlene