Re: hoof soreness

> Well, if you can grasp the difference between a sensate being and a
> nonsensate mechanism, why is it so difficult for you to grasp the
> significance of the fact that what MAKES a being sensate is its ability to
> perceive, as pain, when damage occurs, and to react by showing evidence >
of that pain?

I can grasp that, no difficulty.

> And why, then, when there is no pain, that is an indication that
> there is no damage of any significance?

I'm just suggesting that there is a possiblity that there is damage, wear
and tear, soreness, what ever, that the horse may perceive pain from... but
due to a reduction in circulation caused by horses shoes the nerve endings
are inhibited in their ability to sense the pain and therefore do not relay
a signal to the brain. Therefore the horse isn't feeling the effects of the
damage. That's all nothing more nothing less. But hey if your don't believe
this is possible fine, I do.

> And why we can TELL there is no
> pain, because of the sensate being's behavior?

Again as you pointed out PAIN and DAMAGE are not the same thing.

> According to you, I suppose we shouldn't endurance ride at all?

Please show me where I gave you that impression.

I just feel that it is possible for the horse, under some circumstances, to
have the nerve endings ability to sense the pain and relay the info to the
brain inhibited, even without drugs or surgically cutting nerves. I find it
difficult to believe that you truly don't believe this is possible. But that
is okay, I don't need for you to believe it. I just feel that considering
that it is possibility will make us better careproviders of the horses in
our care.

I absolutely believe there are pros and cons for shoeing, for hoof boots and
for barefoot. You have to consider each case individually.... everything
involved, the individual horse, the sport the horse is involved in, the
terrain, the horse keeping practices employed, and the goals of the rider. I
don't believe I ever said one way works in all cases. You must come up with
what makes the most sense for your goals whether they are short term goals
or long term goals and for your horse. No right, no wrong, just what works
for you and your horse.

I just feel that keeping in mind, while pursuing your goals with your horse,
that there may be a possibility that the horse may have his pain receptors
the nerve endings may have an impaired ability to percieve and relay pain
signals is something that may help us in our endeavor to properly care for
our horses.

Cheryl