That 3/8" of steel - to Karen

Karen:

  In a perfect world, with a perfect barefoot hoof, with walls exactly the right
height above a full balanced sole:
The rolled wall, and about 1/8th inch of the sole next to the wall is supportive.  The
sole, at full thickness, together with the frog and bars help with circulation and suspension. The hoof does indeed flex, and there may also even be some "verticle"
flex included it what is normally called hoof mechanism.

  Wear that wall too short, get a foot sore horse, and there'll be more to worry about than
just "hoof mechanism".

Bob made the point, that the footing changes from ride to ride, and the horse has to be
able to handle all types of footing... I think you'll find that barefoot horses can do rides if the footing is forgiving (I don't think too many argue that)...
Robyns horse did very well barefoot (by her accounts) untill Silver
State, which was just too rocky..

  Yes, sharp or crushed rocks can bruise shod horses (bare) soles just as they would a totally barefoot horse (hense the use of pads and easyboots on some rides).
I don't think anyone arguing that either.

    The answer to your main question is pretty straightforward:
On a well shod horse, that 3/8" of steel keeps the wall from chipping, and wearing
to sole level or shorter.  Yes, they are not as perfect as mother nature's natural hoof,
but steel is harder than wall.
    And yes, they may alter hoof mechanism to some
degree (that degree being quite arguable) or the horses way of going (sometimes they
actually improve it-  beleive it or not)... BUT everything we ask of horses affects them
to some degree.
       If a steel shoe is worn to half it's thickness in 4 weeks,
do you think that the natural wall would hold up (or grow) to match the same wear as steel?
I think you'll find that out for yourself, when you put the miles on in competition.

The shoes are supportive and protective equipment.. just like any other (saddle/pad,etc) and the object is to get as perfect a fit as you can.

Barb