RC: Re: Stallions in endurance riding]

Hmmmm...that's going to be a little hard in Endurance. Unless you're willing to "let 'em all go on" then start, (or run in front the whole ride) your horse will have to learn to behave in close proximity to other horses he/she doesn't know...and that includes stallions.  It is EVERY rider's responsibility, whether they ride a gelding, a stallion, a mare, a mule, or whatever, to teach their horse manners under saddle.  It is the rider's responsibility to condition the horse's mind as well as their body.  The horse must learn that the rider's wishes take priority over his instincts. This includes:

1. Standing quietly under lead in vet lines without squealing, kicking, or stepping on people.

2. Standing quietly under saddle waiting for a ride to start without dancing around, stepping on bystanders, kicking other horses, and otherwise being a hazard to himself/herself and others.

3. Keeping their distance from a horse in front when asked to do so.

4. Deal with being jostled by other horses under saddle without kicking or biting.

5. No squealing and hollering.

You should be reasonably sure your horse will do this before you attend a ride.
You wouldn't haul your horse in a trailer without checking the brakes, lights, and hitch would you?

Even then, on your first couple of rides, use caution and make sure your horse IS listening to you during all the excitement.  Start after the crowd and work on your horse's behavior as horses ride along with you and pass you.  If you are consistent with your training and have your horse's respect, they will figure out that Endurance Rides are not place to pursue their own agendas and will get used to being around unfamiliar horses...they will see a bunch of them at every ride.  Actually, I have had more grief at rides from bitchy mares than stallions.  I hate the mares whose rider moves over to let you pass on a narrow trail, then the mare swings her butt around and takes a whack at your horse as you go by.  That happened to me THREE times on a ride once....by the same horse...and the little gelding I was riding would never have thought about misbehaving....he was as far in the bushes as he could get.  The rider assured me the third time that she had "fixed" the problem and her horse wouldn't do that anymore. Fortunately, the horse was as inaccurate as her rider was incompetent. <grin>

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic