Re: RC: Re: Stallions in endurance riding

> So I'm sitting here wondering why it is that stallions
> must be very well behaved, trained and under control
> around all other horses, but mares do not?  Please
> elaborate for the rest of us.
>
> Kathy Myers

I missed the original post while I was having computer problems, but yeah,
that is my reaction to this, too.  I'd say that the mare in question
(providing the stallion IS well-mannered, quiet, and is minding his own
business) has not been sufficiently socialized.  And as you indicated in
your PS about a horse not liking cows, there are innumerable things which a
horse may have missed in its educational process that can startle it--pigs,
sheep, motorcycles, outhouse doors that go bang, lawn chairs by the finish
line (I had a horse that had problems with THAT one, and we had to go home
and "practice" with my camper parked out in the middle of nowhere with lawn
chairs around it), whatever....

Heidi