Conditioning Tips/Arena

 Hi Truman and Sue,
Rather than thinking about how many circles it would take to get in x
amount of miles, I'd rather think of how minutes it is going to take to
get in x amount of miles.  I know that at a comfortable trot on the trail
my horse typically travels 10-14 mph [depending on incline, surface
etc].  In the ring she moves at about 7-8 mph; for any hour I spend in
the ring I typically trot for about 45 minutes, covering approximately
5+ miles.  Add in walking distance, and probably 1/2 -1 mile at the
canter, and we have done a reasonable amount of mid-week [or
midwinter] mileage.  I NEVER get bored in the ring.  I generally plan
out what I am going to work on before I get on, and will sometimes
ride dressage tests.  Challenges my memory and her attention, for
sure.  Will always do lots of patterns and gait and pace changes,
throw in jumping 2'6" fences [which she loves]. Just going round and
round might cover some miles, but you might as well actually school
while you are there.  Be creative.  As Sue points out, having worked
with excellent dressage and 3-day trainers gives one lots to think
about in the ring.  Is it the same as doing the harder pace, with hills,
on the trail? No.  But it is a decent workout, and sometimes the only
option.
Beth Glace

Truman wrote:
<How  many 60 meter cirlcles would you have to do to get 3 years of  20 to 30 miles a week on the trial. A 60 meter circle is a bit less than 1/8 of a
 mile,