Re: RC: US "cavalry" in Afghanastan

The Army DOES have Cavalry Training!!!  However it is limited to the
Detachment at Ft Hood, TX.  They have a group that does parades and
special events.  The neatest thing was for a change of command ceremony
for high ranking command.  They did a Cavalry Charge with rifles, etc,
in complete old uniform and McClellan saddles.  They have the BIGGEST
mules pulling a huge wagon and the really do the 'Charge'.  Use blanks
though.  Seeing the 'old army' next to the Apache heliocopter was quite
a scene.  I have some good 35mm shots but have not scanned them or
converted to digital ones.  That was back in the late 80s.  If you are
every in the area of Ft Hood/Killeen, Tx.  Try to find out when there
is one or the Detachment will be doing a presentation.  RIGHT now
securety is at all time high so without proper id's, all cars are
searched.  The is a horse group at Ft Sill, OK that pulls a cannon and
Ft Huachuca, AZ has a reinactiment group.  Almost ALL Army posts have
stables, but most are for the dependents.  Ft Leavenworth, KS has the
oldest active Hunt CLube in the US, I was told when I was there for a
class.  Lots of horse history around Army posts.

BTW, those special forces guys are probably the most athletic guys
around and can learn needed skills in a 'new york minute'.

Maybe I will get some pics with my digi camera.. but 'time' it a four
letter word and I am yrs behind in everything..

Happy Trails, Mary Ann, US Army Reserves