Moral Dilemma / Trainers

I've been sort of / kind of following this thread, and have only one question : is it normal, in America, to send a horse to a trainer, who does everything and then sends the horse back to you?  Out here, trainers work with owners when training horses, either by travelling to the horse, or the owner travels to the trainer's yard.

This might not be logistically possible in America, with much greater distances between owner and trainer, but I must admit, I would not send a horse to a trainer unless I could take an active part in his daily training.

Tracey