Re: RC: Marking with GPS

At 06:19 AM 11/16/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>And maybe my dislike of GPS only marking as a general practice comes from
>this.  I ride lots of green horses.  I have one (yes, the one that ran me
>into a tree at the Grand Canyon) that I have to constantly remind myself
>that it is essential that I keep both hands on the horse and my attention
>focused on the trail and what her responses to the environment might
>be...or I might end up in the ICU once again.

How do you ride holding a camera all of the time?  Following a trail with a
GPS that has an activated 'route' is sure a lot easier than carrying a 35
mm camera.  I look at my GPS less often than a watch or heart monitor.  It
was very very simple.  I put the screen on that has a great big ARROW, and
followed the direction the arrow points (really, that is all there is too
it.....)   It is a lot quicker to do that, than to pull out a map and
fiddle with it -- especially on a green horse.

I have some comments from Dr. Nicholson on the subject, posted below:

1. A trail can be marked in a way that no one can tamper with.
2. A rider can determine where they are in relation to the trail with absolute
precision.
3. Ride management can determine and prove that any cheating took place by
downloading the riders track.
4. Use of GPS marking would open up vast new areas to trail riding. Places
like wilderness areas, National parks and monuments, and any area where
conventional marking would raise objections from land managers.
5. A GPS gives additional valuable training information in that it will give
elevation, speed, odometer, sunrise and sunset, and time as well as locating a
person exactly on a trail.
To argue against such a device is nonsensical. While there will always be
people who refuse to embrace new technology, they will be left behind, just as
those who refuse to embrace the internet. Ride managers who want to attract
the largest number of riders will use the GPS as a tool in addition to
standard marking. Some ride situations will occur in the future, like the XP
2001 ride, that will only be possible with GPS receivers. Riders who have the
ability to use that equipment will be able to participate while others will
not. All of that is OK. Life will continue for all.