US "calvary" in Afghanastan

Just watched press interview on airplane with Secretary of Defense, Rumsfeld....Has pictures of our own special forces guys on horses and getting the job done!  Made a delighted comment about seeing orders cross his desk for saddles, bridles, and feed...
Would be interested to find if our government adds calvary training to basic training camps for all our military?
A lot of horses were lost here in the Francis Marion Forests during conflicts with the British during Revolutionary War...some really horrific tales.  A lot of swaps here, although not presently as we have been in drought for past few years.
Beth Gunn