Re: Mare Smarts!!!

 My Paint mare has developed a new habit lately, during the vet check trot out, especially when my wife is attempting to lead her in this maneuver.  For some reason, no matter what speed Erica travels, Moonlight Princess (clever name, don't you think?) will get along side my wife, and start nudging her with her head.  This throws my wife off balance and she will either fall down, or consistently bob her head, indicating grade three lameness (for the wife, not the horse).

When we practice the trot out at home, the mare doesn't to this.  She looks great, behaves, and she fools us into thinking everything will be just fine at the next ride.  Then we go to the next ride, and she does it again.  At Far Out Forest, after my wife returned from trotting out, going twice as far as required because of all the side to side action, she told the vet, "It's not the horse, it's me."  Seemed funny at the time.

Of course, I'm really to blame for all this, cause all bad habits developed are from the trainer and since I seem to be the one who has that job title, it just makes sense I caused such a thing to happen.  Heck, you should see what bad habits Dance Line has.  His new thing is to turn the trot out into a canter.  He does this during the trot out after we go half way, turn around and he spots Princess standing in line behind the vet. Forget the trot, hang on for a canter.  He just can't get back to her soon enough.

The power of a mare is quite awesome.

cya,
Howard (my three geldings would do anything, and I mean anything, for my one mare; she rules the barn, and everything else she comes in contact with.)