Re: Northern Alliance Horses

For centuries, the people of the Afghanistan region have used horses,
donkeys, mules, etc. for transportation, and they still do so. There is
a wonderful documentary titled  "Grass - A Nation's Battle for Life",
made in 1924, which portrays the nomadic journey of the Bakhtiari tribe
of that area.  (Amazon.com has this documentary.)
It shows them crossing snow-covered mountains & wide rivers with their
families and herds to get to new pastures.  It is a fascinating film.
The horses are Arabians and Ahkel-Tekes.  It is incredible to see how
these people made this journey over tougher terrain than we can imagine.

Some of the Afghan tribes are still nomadic, and live as is shown in
this film; they are tough people, and most of them know how to get
around those mountains on horseback.

Just a thought . . . I have wondered if some of those good endurance
horses that were sold by Americans to the Mid-East might have wound up
in Afghanistan?  Hummmm.......