Panic Attack...

I too have a VERY cinchy mare and I also do all these things that have been
suggested.

The English billets are a must. You know exactly where you are as you're
tightenting up each hole ( I count them). Ok, honey, we're on the 5th hole, 1
more to go for light rides, 2 more for lots of hills....
I take time between each hole while I lead her around with me to do other
things...get my jacket and put it on for instance...

I keep talking to her, petting her, reassuring her..... and I do let her walk
around me in circles as I tighten.  This has really helped her to vent some
of that frustration which she used to take out on my arm---(Bitsy, you're a
H-E-R-B-I-V-O-R-E, dammit!)

I'll also feed her a little treat each time I tighten those last three holes.

Between the chewing and the circles she relaxes her tummy so it's easy for me
to get to that 7th hole.  And there's no resentment.

That's what works for us.
Good luck!

Kath