Fw: Threat to Tevis Route alert

Below is a sample letter to send if anyone cares to,  this was sent to me and I'm just passing it on:

Please leave date of Oct 31, but mail this letter
asap.  Need as many comments as possible. Spouse, kids, etc.  Send your letter and then pass this email along to your networks for immediate attention.  Many thanks.

October 31, 2001

American River Pump Station Project
Draft EIS/EIR Comments
Surface Water Resources, Inc.
2031 Howe Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95825

RE:  Coffer Dam area trails near TEVIS finish Line
Auburn CA

Gentlepeople:

The PCWA claims that the Auburn-to-Cool trail loss is a significant but unavoidable impact of the river restoration and pump station project. However, there is a solution - PCWA needs to include the construction of a bridge in their plan. They also need to leave a dirt trail along side the roads that they are paving so those trails aren't lost as well.

The Coffer Dam site is one of the few places where several trails merge and provide access to other trail systems (the Western States trail in Auburn, the Olmstead trail in Cool, and the Maidu area trails).  Most people feel that if the PCWA river project doesn't include a bridge in their plan now that it will never happen and we will lose the Coffer Dam area trails, three of our best training hills, and a major trail system connection FOREVER.

Several thousand hikers, outdoor enthusiasts,
equestrians, mountain bikers, and runners use these trails annually. If the Auburn-to-Cool trail is
closed, the treacherous canyon trail to 'no-hands'
bridge (Western States Trail) will become overcrowded - presenting a seriously dangerous situation. This trail was not designed to handle the kind of traffic that the Coffer Dam trails can. The trails are narrow and the drop-offs are steep, rocky, and several hundred feet high. People and horses will be at a much greater risk for potentially deadly accidents involving collisions and falls.

The Auburn-to-Cool trail loss is not just a trail, but
also a merging of 3 canyon hills where athletes have been training for years. Runners and equestrians will no longer have these hills for training for the world famous 100 mile Western States run, the 100 mile Tevis endurance race, or other events. Auburn is proud to host the finish lines of both of these and other prestigious races. How will people feel from other states and countries when they arrive prior to these
events to acclimatize and train on these trails??

Mountain biking access to the American River Canyon below Auburn is already limited. In fact, the
Auburn-to-Cool trail is the only access they have to
the trails in Cool from Auburn. It is not fair to take
their only access route away from them. The canyon represents many user groups that include water use AND land use. The PCWA project needs to support all canyon user groups and recognize the value of keeping the canyon access available to everyone.

Currently a volunteer mounted unit patrols the Coffer Dam area. Equestrians will no longer have access to the area as the PCWA plan includes paved roads on the Auburn side and piled river rock from the excavation on the Cool side. Who is willing to take on the expense and responsibility for patrolling this area when it becomes not so horse friendly??

Most people want to share in the joy and celebration of opening the river back to its natural course. We are asking PCWA to do the right thing and not take away the use of precious and beautiful canyon trails from our community. This can be achieved by building a bridge - a small price to pay when compared to the overall $31 million project budget. A small price to pay compared to the permanent loss of trails that
thousands of people have been using for years.

Thank you for this opportunity to comment.

Name Address and Phone