Re: [Fwd: Trailer fire!]

Catherine....

Well, actually it helps to have a horse to "start" them with this
attitude.  Sunny was trailered with a horse who was trailered with
another horse, etc.  Seriously, you have to teach it very early in their
trailering life. (Otherwise, you have to use a very LARGE rubber band!
<grin>)

I started Sunny (very young) on trailering by loading him out in the
paddock.  Just load him, leave him on for a while, then take him off.
Started with an 1/2 hour, an hour, then two, etc.  Taught him patience.
I didn't want him going to a ride and getting upset, stomping around in
the trailer, etc. while I was having lunch somewhere or stuck on the
Interstate. That became part of his "routine". I would sit down with a
cold one and watch him every minute.  If he started to pee, would yell
"ainnnn't at him and immediately back him off and give him the
opportunity to finish for 15-20 minutes.  If he didn't, would put him
back on.  After a while, he figured out that he was supposed to
wait...and eventually I would take him off so he could pee.  Now, I take
him off every 3 hours and he pees every time...just like
clockwork....and he's taught Magic as well. He DOES poop in  the
trailer....which is OK. (Magic still pees in his stall...gotta work on
that) Sunny was my "Perfect Horse".  I will probably never again spend
so much time teaching every little thing I want my horses to know to the
level I did with him...but he was just so bonded to me (only horse for 5
years) and willing to please....and picked things up so QUICKLY! Anyway,
keep in mind that early in Sunny's life, the trailer rides were
short....2 hours or less...so he waited easily.  He doesn't pee or poop
in his stall either...if he has the door open to the paddock...and I
didn't teach him that. He's always a gentleman and a "neat"
horse....always poops/pees in the same spot if given the opportunity.

Kinda interesting.....couple of months ago the farrier was shoeing him
in the hallway with the stall door open.  I never bother with a
halter....just chin lead him into the hallway and "park" him.  We were
standing around talking, shoeing, etc.  Suddenly Sunny bolted into the
stall and out into the paddock. I ran out there, verbally chastised him
severely, then parked him back in the hallway. I was annoyed..he NEVER
does that!  A few minutes later I noticed he was "dribbling" and
suddenly realized that he just needed to PEE...and would NEVER do that
in the hallway...or poop either. Embarrassed, I took him back out, let
him pee (which he did immediately) and brought him back....he just had
no way to tell me!

He's kinda spoiled me for other horses.....he's kinda unique....if you
ever meet him you'll understand. One of a kind....great little guy.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic

--
Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm