[Fwd: Trailer fire!]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Trailer fire!
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 15:51:33 -0700
From: Cliff Fenneman <cfly@concentric.net>
To: Ridecamp <ridecamp@endurance.net>

I had a fire in my trailer! Yikes! As I was trailering my new mule home
in the dark from a Pat Parelli all mule clinic...a car came along side
me honking and gesturing frantically...indicating that I should pull
over immediately. I did. Barely off the freeway somewhere in Riverside,
I found glowing embers under Chelse (I wondered why she had been moving
around so much!) I had water bottles available and was able to put the
fire out without removing her. She was great...just moved aside and let
me splash water all around her feet. When the fire was extinguished we
looked for the possible cause...and noticed dangling wires
underneath...that no doubt the dog had chewed. They were touching the
ground so I figured they must have been causing sparks that shot up thru
the floorboards, thru space between the rubber mats and up into the
shavings. So I crawled under the trailer with my handy duct tape and
taped them to the axel...thinking all the time that this is ho
w people
die...under their trailer on the freeway in the dark.
We drove on with no more trouble. I did have brakes and outside lights.
I have an open stock trailer and had a minimum of cedarrest shavings on
the floor. No one had been smoking in the trailer and we had spent at
least 30 minutes standing around the outside of the trailer before
leaving (pleading with her to get into the darkened trailer)...so the
fire definitely had to start after we left. My trailer mechanic does not
think the dangling wires caused the problem...most likely a tossed
cigarette butt !
Has this ever happened to anyone before? I never heard of such a story.
My mechanic also told me he has seen customers bring their trailers
in...improperly hooked up. Just last week or so their was a terrible
accident on the freeway...trailer came un-hitched and both horses had to
be put down....it was improperly hitched.
Just thought I'd pass this along.
Check and re-check your hitch everytime you leave
it.
If your animules start moving around...find out why.
Lynda