Re: RC: Sports Medicine Boots & Endurance

on 10/24/01 7:55 PM, Lauren & Allan Horn at 4horn@home.com wrote:

> Due to my horses slopey pasterns and a slight strain my vet advised me
> strongly to start having my horse wear them ALL the time while riding
> and even wrapping her legs while resting in her pen. Does ANYONE use
> these boots successfully while doing endurance??? I feel my choices are
> not to wear them and eventually have a lame horse or wear them and have
> heat. Heat - Lameness - Heat- Lameness? I think I'll take heat. Help?

I'm pretty sure a study just came out and was reported in Horse and Rider
that boots do nothing other than protect from scrapes and such. They don't
give any support, at least in the study. I used to be into boots, now I only
use them when going into heavy brush or a tick infested area. BTW, this
study was in the last few months so it should be easy to track down.
Tiffany