Sports Medicine Boots & Endurance

> Due to my horses slopey pasterns and a slight strain my vet advised >
metrongly to start having my horse wear them ALL the time while > riding>
and even wrapping her legs while resting in her pen.

Was this an endurance vet?  You know, some dressage people recommend full
boots just to let the horse play in a pen for awhile. :-P  Back in 1988 I
had ONE whole year (50 miles) of experience and was quite the expert.  A
friend of mine had a 4 year old Arab that she was going to do endurance
with and I pointed out to her that he had *really* long sloping pasterns
and probably wouldn't hold up long.  That horse is still competing and
last time I checked he had over 4000 miles and had done something like
18-100 milers and competed in the North American Championships.  So much
for my vast knowledge. :-P  By the way, he never wore boots. If my horse
needed wraps just to stand around I wouldn't do endurance on him...but
somehow I find it hard to believe your horse needs them just to stand
around.  How did he get his "slight injury"?  If it was walking to the
water trough, O.K. I might worry. If it was on a ride and in any way
justified, heck that happens all the time.  I'd just let him heal, bring
him along slowly and forget the paranoid vet.

Angie
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.