Re: stumbling gelding

----- Original Message -----
From: JOLYNN MAYNARD
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 3:00 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: stumbling gelding

One, it sounds like you kind like this horse so I would give him time, at least a full year, before making any decisions to get rid of him. Two, make sure he is on good feed, vitamins or supplements or whatever. Three, gradually work up to good condition on trails and arena work Four, when riding in the mountains, ride him up and down hills and let him fall (if you are on him, not your kids).  Let him suffer the consequences of his actions.  I ride with loose rein.  I also will get after my horses that are stumbling because of not paying attention.  Believe me they start thinking about what they are doing.  I do not beat them, but get after them with my legs and voice, just to show them that stumbling because of attitude or laziness in not acceptable.  All horses stumble occasionally and some stumbles are legitimate and I don't fuss over that.
Five, give him time to get conditioned mentally and physically, also get used to you.  Expect better performance from the horse and he will probably give you better performance!

All of this is just my opinion and it is only if there is not some physical problem with the horse.

Good Luck
Jolynn

--------

This is all great advice.  The problem I have is both my Arabian horses stumble.  Rebel is just awful; War Cry not so bad, but he does do it more than I'd like to see.  This is with me riding them and sometimes the wife; with the kid (in two months I will have to start calling her the teenager), who weighs in at 90 lbs, it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

The thing is, my other two horses, a Paint and my infamous Saddlebred, never trip or stumble at all. Dance Line has been known to rear once in awhile, even after traveling 8 miles, but he does not trip; ever. Neither does the Paint, even with my big ole butt on top of them.  I'm starting to think that there's something to Arab horses, oversized riders, and stumbling.  Especially, when traveling long distances down that endurance highway.  I'm not a heavyweight rider, but I'm within five to ten lbs of being one.  The wife is considered Lightweight, a category she is grateful to AERC for putting her in.

Is it my imagination?  I'm not sure.  Maybe, the Arabs need more and more training and need to work at paying attention to the rider more than the other breeds.  I don't know; all I know is I hate it when a horse trips.  And I'm really hoping my Paint will be able to do a 50 when she's old enough (course now that the wife has made Princess her limited distance horse, I might have to rethink that one).

cya,

Howard  (I think the image of Colin Powell singing that Taliban song is just about the funniest thing I've seen since Sept 11th.  If you haven't seen it, please, email me.  Too hilarious to miss out on)