stumbling gelding

One, it sounds like you kind like this horse so I would give him time, at
least a full year, before making any decisions to get rid of him.
Two, make sure he is on good feed, vitamins or supplements or whatever.
Three, gradually work up to good condition on trails and arena work
Four, when riding in the mountains, ride him up and down hills and let him
fall (if you are on him, not your kids).  Let him suffer the consequences
of his actions.  I ride with loose rein.  I also will get after my horses
that are stumbling because of not paying attention.  Believe me they start
thinking about what they are doing.  I do not beat them, but get after
them with my legs and voice, just to show them that stumbling because of
attitude or laziness in not acceptable.  All horses stumble occasionally
and some stumbles are legitimate and I don't fuss over that.
Five, give him time to get conditioned mentally and physically, also get
used to you.  Expect better performance from the horse and he will
probably give you better performance!

All of this is just my opinion and it is only if there is not some
physical problem with the horse.

Good Luck
Jolynn