Re: Re: horse trains cowboy!!!!

----- Original Message -----
From: Maggie Mieske
To: Seamstob ; ridecamp
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 10:39 AM
Subject: RC: Re: horse trains cowboy!!!!

I can tell you right now that team penners don't give an ARAB much credit for having the ability to work cows.  I get razzed alot.  Hopefully that will end soon....I started team penning at competitions with our crazy ARAB stallion in August (after practicing on and off for about 6 weeks, once or twice a week).  My goal was simply to build up his hindquarters...he's only 6, has growing to do and was working too much off his front end.  Well, we will be reserve champion in the novice division of the Michigan Team Penning Association after only competing 1/4 of the season....

**** ALL RIGHT!  Congrats!

Okay, so now I get to rant about wanna-be cowboys....and i will tie it into endurance

This last weekend I went to Pt. Reyes to camp with friends.  I took Tawny, the Arab/mustang.  I had almost taken her to Lake Sonoma ride the weekend before, but had decided last minute to take Chancy.  However, I had 3 horses I thought conditioned for that ride, and decided last minute to pick the two that looked "best".  But Tawny was fit.  Anyway, turned out with the humidity and winter coat....I had to slow way down....horses were all really sweating a LOT!

Anyway, we are all there Friday around the campfire with our horses set up for the night, blanketed (it gets very cold there at night), hay available and big buckets of water.  In pulls two absolutely huge rigs....dually's with living-quarter trailers.  They looked like a circus, tricks and trailers have lights at least every 3 feet, big seachlight on top of the truck, etc.  Folks bustle around and put 5 horses on one picket line.....no blankets, no food OR water.  Horses stomp and squeal all night long, one gets loose.....in  morning, horses get small measure of hay, and about 3 inches of water in buckets.  Buckets are quickly drained and tipped over.

People take several hours getting ready to ride; put on big bat-wing chaps, spurs, vests, cowboy hats, the whole nine yards.  In daylight, truck is seen to have flags all over it.  HOrses go out for ride...put back on picket line, given small measure of hay and water, and left all night with NO FOOD OR WATER!  By this time we are all seething, and about to go over and say someting or leave nasty note on windshield...by time we get back from short ride Sunday morning, they are gone....so horses were hauled 3 plus hours, given small portion of water twice, ridden and hauled home....it was distressing.....

Heres what I learned from endurance riding.....always keep hay and especially water in front of horse at all time.....they WILL drink lots at night.  It just distresses me to see horses with empty water buckets....

Karen