Re: horse trains cowboy!!!!

I can tell you right now that team penners don't give an ARAB much credit for having the ability to work cows.  I get razzed alot.  Hopefully that will end soon....I started team penning at competitions with our crazy ARAB stallion in August (after practicing on and off for about 6 weeks, once or twice a week).  My goal was simply to build up his hindquarters...he's only 6, has growing to do and was working too much off his front end.  Well, we will be reserve champion in the novice division of the Michigan Team Penning Association after only competing 1/4 of the season!  Malik and I did this together (horses get little or no recognition at these things).  I don't switch horses which most people do.  He is AWESOME at team penning and now he loves the conditioning rides more as well...there is a lot to be said for finding other activities for our endurance horses.  I think it makes them happier and makes them better athletes.  I can't wait to see what we can accomplish NEXT year.  I think these poor team penners think I am crazy for riding 50 miles.  Some people at the big events take 6-7 horses and switch on and off because it's too much to expect them to run 20 times at an event.  That's 20 times a maximum of 90 seconds and usually more like 30 seconds.  Malik doesn't even sweat during an event while the poor QHs are lathered just warming up!  It's too bad they don't put more time and effort into conditiong their horses OUTSIDE of the arena.  Anyway, have fun team penning!  The only problem is that it's as addictive as endurance!
Maggie